Yield: 14 to 16 servings prep time
This recipe can be made in, either, three standard loaf pans, two 9-inch square or round cake pans, one 9-to-10-inch tube or bundt cake pan, or one 9x13-inch sheet cake.
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup honey
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup brewed coffee, warm (San Francisco Bay Organic Rainforest Blend)
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup whiskey
- ½ cup slivered or sliced almonds (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease pan(s) with non-stick cooking spray. Even if your pan is non-stick, still spray!
2. In a large bowl (or in the bowl of an electric mixer), whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and allspice. Make a well in the center and add the vegetable oil, honey, white sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, Organic Rainforest Blend coffee, orange juice and whiskey, if using.
3. Using a strong wire whisk or with an electric mixer on slow speed, stir together until all ingredients are well-blended, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl, making sure that no ingredients are stuck to the bottom.
4. Spoon batter into prepared pan(s). Sprinkle top of cake(s) evenly with almonds, if using. (If you are using a bundt pan, sprinkle the almonds into the bottom of the pan before pouring the batter in). Place cake pan(s) on two baking sheets, stacked together (this will ensure the cakes bake properly with the bottom baking faster than the cake interior and top).
5. Bake until the cake springs back when you gently touch the cake center and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs, almost clean. For tube and bundt pans, this will take 60 to 75 minutes, loaf cakes, about 45 to 55 minutes. For sheet style cakes, baking time is 40 to 45 minutes.
6. Let cake stand fifteen minutes before removing from pan. Serve warm or at room temperature. Leftover cake can be stored at room temperature, covered tightly.
Honey Cake Baker’s Notes
When it says to spray the pan really well, take that advice seriously! This cake is a bit sticky, so it sticks to the pan more than most cakes. I used a bundt pan, which can be tricky at first (for those of us who are not professionals), and the cake did not release very well. I would probably try using two round pans next time.
If you are using a bundt, remember to sprinkle your almonds on the pan BEFORE you pour the batter. This direction was at the end of the recipe so I did not read it until I had already poured the batter; hence, no almonds on the cake in the video.
This would be a great cake for a Fall brunch. Cloves and nutmeg are staples for breads and pastries during the Fall season, and these are no exceptions.
Pick up a 12 count box of our Organic Rainforest Blend OneCup™ today and start baking this weekend.
DOWNLOAD RECIPE HERE Honey Cake with Organic Rainforest Blend